Notes |
- . Three & 4 years ago there were families in Lancashire, England, of some note, of the name Tarbock. The name in those times was variously spelled-Tarbock, Tarbocke, Tarback, Torbock & Torbocke. The word is usually pronounced Tarbock or Tarback, of which probably Tarbox is a variation.
. John Tarbox died in 1674. Lewis in his History of Lynn says "John Tarbox, one of the first farmers of Lynn, Mass., an orchard, 3 cows & 9 sheep, at the time of his decease he was a small proprietor in the Iron Works. His descendants spread out to various places, such as Rhode Island, New Hampshire & Connecticut.
Ref: The New England Historical & Genealogical Register.
. Land granted to his wife, Elizabeth Lawrence was Lot 4, Con 6 Toronto Twp. - at what is now the intersection of Airport Road & Walkers Line meet in Caledon East. They were the original settlers & the town was first named Tarbox Corners after Elisha. The village was later renamed Caledon East. In his will Elisha left some land to John Osborn, the grandson of his wife, Elizabeth Lawrence.
. THE 1st innkeeper was its founding father, Elisha Tarbox,
Elisha Tarbox was buried in the St. James Anglican Church. In 1843 the first Anglican church was built. The remains of those beginnings rest in St. James Cemetery at the intersection of Old Church & Innis Lake Roads.
. Their home is now by the laneway & parking lot of the Caledon East LCBO store & just north of Berney's Hardware, raise their crude log cabin. The village became known as Tarbox Corners, then Munsie's Corners then, long before the railroad had arrived & departed, Caledon East & before becoming the seat of Municipal Government for the Town of Caledon.
Ref: Tayler Parnaby Talks, Caledon Enterprise.com, newspaper dated 2011 Nov 1.
Quarterly Session of Peace, Home District:
. 1834 Jan 6, Monday, Certificates for Tavern Licenses granted for the ensuing year: Elisha Tarbox, Caledon, £3.
.1835 Jan 5, Tavern certificates granted to & taken out for the ensuing year: Elisha Tarbox, Caledon, £3.
. Buried St. James Anglican Cemetery, Albion Twp., Peel County
Monument inscription reads: In memory of Elisha Tarbox, who died Oct 2, 1862, Aged 80 yrs.
Blessed are the dead ...in the Lord. White monument with weeping willow. Good condition, but lies flat & embedded in the grass. (2009). In 1843 the first Anglican church was built. The remains of those beginnings rest in St. James Cemetery at the intersection of Old Church & Innis Lake Roads.
* 1861 Feb 1- Caledon East Agricultural Census lists ELISHA Tarbox & J Walker? on Concession 6, Lot 4.p38 Caledon Township 2
Total 50 Acres, Under Cultivation 30 acre, 2 acres orchard, 20 a. under wood or Wild, Value of farm $2000. [no other farming]
[E Sarbox = Tarbox].
. 1861 York Co. Directory: Caledon East - a small post village in Twps. of Albion & Chinguacousy, County Peel, 18 miles from Brampton & 33 from Toronto, Population, 60.
XRef: Near by neighbor: George Tarbox, c 1815 to c1869, Con 6, Lot 4 Caledon E,
Niagara X Terry, Jane, 1819 May 21-1847 Feb 15, Winter Quarters, NE. Surely Tarbox is too rare of a surname to be a coincidence. (PJA 2010).
. 1837 Toronto, York County Directory: George Tarbox, Con 6, Lot 4, Caledon E, Ontario.
X-Ref: Near by Neighbor: 1837 Toronto & Home District Directory
George Tarbox, c1815 to c1869, resided Con 6, Lot 4, Caledon, East of Hurontario Street.
Note: 1871 Feb 1, Caledon East Agricultural Census lists ELISHA Tarbox on Concession 6, Lot 4.
Their son: Elisha Terry Tarbox (1844 Sep 9) or born NY on 1837 Jul 22-1906, San Francisco. California.
Census 1900 June 1: Washington St., Occ: Clerk, Father Born NY & Mother born New Jersey,
X Mary Galighan & Julia A, Born NJ in 1848 Jan. Father born New Jersey, mother born NY. - . -
Recorded for further research:
. Lydia Porter, daughter of Timothy Porter & Abigail West married 1800, to Elisha Tarbox, residence Herbron Conn. their children: Socrates Tarbox, born Jun 1, 2802, Geo. W Tarbox, born Aug 7, 1805, Ralph R Tarbox, born
Sep 10 1808.
. 1683 May 12, Original land grants, then called Fresh Water Brook, now Enfield, Conn.
- Lydea married 15 Dec 1763, Hebron CT, to Elisha Tarbox.
- Belinda, 2.22. 1791 m. 1 Elisha Tarbox had Lorenzo D. Gould Tarbox, m. Wm Clark Buffalo, NY
. Abigail West, married 1800, Elisha Tarbox, Residence, Hebron, Conn.
Their children were [being of the eighth generation :
Socrates Tarbox, born June 1, 1802. *
George W. Tarbox, born August 7, 1805.
Ralph R. Tarbox, born September 10, 1808.
Abigail Porter, daughter of Nehemiah Porte? & Abigail Strong, married, 1798, Samuel Wright, of Hebron, Conn. Removed to Ohio.
Ref: Descendants of John Porter of Windsor, Conn 1635-9
Ref: Elihu Marvin, J.P., Hebron, Tolland, Connecticut.
* Socrates, son of Elisha & Lydia (Porter) Tarbox of Hebron; born Dec. 9, 1806, at Hebron; died Sept. 23, 1859, at Portland. He was a merchant, living at Hebron, Hartford & Portland, Conn.
1803 Apr 14, Lidia Porter married Elisha Tarbox, both of Herbron.
. 1800 Jun 27 - List of vessels captured by the French out of Guadeloupe from Mar 12 to 1st June: Captains Baker, Bird, Bokes of Boston, Molton, Newburyport; Trowbridge of New Haven, Montgomery of Norfolk; McCray of Wiscasset; TARBOX of Biddeford & the crews of 58 vessels are in the prison of Basseterre, Guadaloupe.
Ref: Columbian Courier, New Bedford, Mass & Newburyport Herald.
. 1805 May 21, Arrived at Boston May 15th: Schooner George Tarbox, 30 days from Grenada, via Pepperelborough.
. 1827 Jul 18, At a Probate Court holden at Herbron, 23 Jun 1827, Judge John S Peters, Upon the Petition of Daniel burrows Jr & Ralph Tarbox, Guardians to Socrates Tarbox & George Tarbox, minors representing to this Court that the shade miners are owners of Real Estate situated in said Hebron, praying for liberty to sell, Petition to be held 5 Sep 1827.
Ref: Sentinel & Witness, Middletown, Conn.
. 1842 Feb 26, List of Bankrupts, Socrates Tarbox, Marlboro.
Ref: Connecticut Courant Newspaper, Hartford, Conn.
1861 Oct 11 Connecticut. A large dwelling house in Portland, owned by the heirs of Socrates Tarbox, was burned down on Saturday afternoon. It was occupied by 4 families, who lost most of their furniture & clothing.
Ref: Springfield Republican Newspaper, Mass.
Research & transcriptions by PJ Ahlberg. Thank you. - - - [1, 2]
|